Tuesday, January 25, 2011

INFP - Personality Types

Today, in English class, I had my students complete a personality quiz (www.mytype.com) which interpreted their answers into their personality type. I did mine as well, coming up with INFP (Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling Perceptive). After reading the results and explanation, I think that the results are pretty dead-on. Here they are (and my thoughts):

(1) You are clearly an Introvert

You scored 89% in the direction of Introversion, which means you are clearly an Introvert. People who are clearly Introverts are reserved, quiet, and contemplative. They dislike the social pressures of large groups and being the center of attention, but are not necessarily shy. They frequently spend time alone in order to reflect and "recharge.

I think this is weirdly accurate. I am an introvert, I hate being the center of attention... I don't like large groups of people...

(2) You are clearly an iNtuitive

You scored 67% in the direction of iNtuition, which means you are clearly an iNtuitive. People who are clearly iNtuitives are so focused on the "big picture" that they often overlook the details. Because of this, some people may see them as absent-minded. But don't be fooled: these iNtuitives quickly notice underlying patterns, hidden relationships and ironies that others miss. They enjoy considering the ways people or ideas are connected and are constantly thinking about the future, particularly how to change it.

I think that people think I'm absent-minded alot, and yeah, sometimes I might be, but I really do think about the bigger picture of everything rather than every teeny tiny little detail.

(3) You are a Feeler

You scored 22% in the direction of Feeling, which means you are a Feeler. Feelers are caring, supportive, and appreciative. They naturally reach out to other people, preferring to cooperate and agree rather than argue over who is right. They are comfortable with emotions, both their own and those of others.

(4) You are clearly a Perceiver

You scored 93% in the direction of Perceiving, which means you are clearly a Perceiver. People who are clearly Perceivers lead a flexible, spontaneous lifestyle and avoid making definite plans whenever possible. They get excited by starting something new but find it difficult to finish. They see all sides of every situation, so much so that it is often unclear to them what's "right". When faced with a decision, they will put it off for as long as possible in order to consider all their options. Even once the decision is made, they often second guess themselves.

What's most true about this one is: When faced with a decision, they will put it off for as long as possible in order to consider all their options. I absolutely do this- I consider every angle, but what isn't correct is where it says "even once the decision is made, they often second guess themselves." I don't do this. Once I decide, I don't second guess myself.

There is a lot more that I found from this personality page about my personality type... some of it says:

1) my primary mode of living is focused internally where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your personal value system. secondary mode is external, where you take things in primarily via your intuition.

2) More focused on making the world a better place, and finding their meaning in life.

3) highly intuitive about people, meaning INFP's are driven to help people and make the world a better place.

4) Generally thoughtful and considerate, INFPs are good listeners and put people at ease. Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. This sincerity is sensed by others, making the INFP a valued friend and confidante. An INFP can be quite warm with people he or she knows well.

5) INFPs do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. In conflict situations, INFPs place little importance on who is right and who is wrong. They focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't really care whether or not they're right.

6) INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause. When an INFP has adopted a project or job which they're interested in, it usually becomes a "cause" for them. Although they are not detail-oriented individuals, they will cover every possible detail with determination and vigor when working for their "cause".

7) INFPs have very high standards and are perfectionists. Consequently, they are usually hard on themselves, and don't give themselves enough credit. INFPs may have problems working on a project in a group, because their standards are likely to be higher than other members' of the group.

8) INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkward and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper.

What was interesting to me is how deadly accurate this was. I’ve taken several personality tests through the years from psychology classes and just a general need-to-know, and for the most part, I’ve always gotten the same general results. I think it’s interesting to discover that while I would like to think that I have changed in my life, grown up, that basically, I still behave, think and act the same way. I’m still uncomfortable in social situations, I don’t like being the center of attention, I hate conflict and will avoid it at all cost, I don’t delegate because no one knows how I want it done except me – and even when I explain it to them, it still doesn’t come across right, and I’m a writer.

These are the traits of an INFP:

  • Strong value systems
  • Warmly interested in people
  • Service-oriented, usually putting the needs of others above their own
  • Loyal and devoted to people and causes
  • Future-oriented
  • Growth-oriented; always want to be growing in a positive direction
  • Creative and inspirational
  • Flexible and laid-back, unless a ruling principle is violated
  • Sensitive and complex
  • Dislike dealing with details and routine work
  • Original and individualistic - "out of the mainstream"
  • Excellent written communication skills
  • Prefer to work alone, and may have problems working on teams
  • Value deep and authentic relationships
  • Want to be seen and appreciated for who they are

I also noticed that the career choices for someone with my type of personality fit deadly accurate into my chosen profession. Some others are:

  • Writers
  • Counselors / Social Workers
  • Teachers / Professors
  • Psychologists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Musicians
  • Clergy / Religious Workers

No comments:

Post a Comment